The Japan Media Arts Festival is a comprehensive festival of Media Arts that honors outstanding works in four main divisions:
• Art – Works of art created with new media and digital technologies. Interactive art, media installations, video works, graphic art (digital illustration, digital photography, computer graphics, etc), web-based works, media performances, etc.
• Entertainment – Works for entertainment created with digital technologies. Games (video games, online games, etc.), video works (music videos, advertising videos, special effects videos, etc.), gadgets, electronics, websites, application software, etc.
• Animation – Animated feature films, animated short films, animated series, etc.
• Manga – Comics published in book form, comics published in a magazine (including works still being serialized), comics published online (for computer or mobile), self-published comics, etc.
Works must be completed or released between October 6, 2018 and October 4, 2019. It is possible to submit a work that has been completed in the past but renewed or updated and freshly completed or released during this time frame.
While the number of entries made is unlimited, the same work may not be entered in multiple divisions. The entrant must hold the copyright to the submitted work. If the work is submitted by a representative, permission from the copyright holder must be obtained.
The copyright to award-winning works remains with the entrant.
Entries are accepted from across the globe from professional, amateur, independent and commercial sources.
For each division, Grand Prize, Excellence Awards, and New Face Awards will be awarded on the basis of artistic quality and creativity.
• Grand Prize: Certificate, trophy, 1,000,000 Japanese Yen (approx. 9,350 USD)
• Excellence Award: Certificate, trophy, 500,000 Japanese Yen
• New Face Award: Certificate, trophy, 300,000 Japanese Yen
In addition, Special Achievement Award will be awarded on the recommendation of the Jury to an individual or group who has made a special contribution to Media Arts in any of the four divisions.
Also, this year two new awards are added in order to praise various works as a festival showcasing the future:
• Social Impact Award: Certificate, trophy, 500,000 Japanese Yen
• U-18 Award: Certificate
Other outstanding entries will be chosen by the Jury as Jury Selections.